As best we can determine, three sets of French doors (or a combination of
doors and sidelights) originally graced the house:
1) At the rear of the parlor, opening onto the back garden. The original
opening went to floor level (as evidenced by uncut bricks) and is of
different dimensions than the front window on the opposite wall in an
otherwise symmetrical room.
2) Between the dining room and the west pergola, likely facing out to a
"porte cochere" (literally, coach door) over the drive. The house's
original brick wall does not exist along the line between the pergola and
the dining room, and would have been difficult to remove. The only
explanation we can offer is that some combination of French doors or doors
and floor-to-ceiling windows existed to allow light and ventilation through
the front of the house.
3) Between the dining room and the foyer. A wall with doorway was added
in 1947, so no original wall existed; some sort of separation would have
been needed between dining room and foyer.
The center/rear of the house (north of the staircase) has been altered to
the point that it is impossible to determine the locations of original
features or uses. Perhaps a servant's quarters?
The 1915 Sanborn insurance map shows a one story garage on the back
(northwest) corner of the lot. The L. L. Steward house and the house on the
corner of 5th Avenue and Roosevelt (now occupied by the Arizona Theater
Company) are the only buildings shown on this side of the block.