In 1985, the L. L. Steward house underwent another conversion, this time to
a multi-suite office building. All of the existing bathrooms were removed
(the building was entirely re-plumbed), and two new restrooms, one with a
shower, were added along the middle of the downstairs north wall (at the
north end of the center hallway).
A wall was added at the north end of the original parlor to create a
hallway, and the original northwest sleeping porch (2nd floor) was divided
into two smallish offices. Kitchen cabinets were removed, the wall between
the original kitchen and the utility porch moved 18" south, and the entire
northwest corner was reconfigured. The pergola at the southwest corner
(enclosed in 1947) was turned into a storage closet. Various air
conditioning and plumbing chases were added, carpet was glued down, popcorn
applied to ceilings, and fluorescent lights were added. The continuation of
the pergola to the west end of the house was roofed over, either during this
remodel or earlier.
Early tenants of the office suites were Margy Chrisney, A.I.A. (building
co-owner and architect of the remodel), and Congressman Mo Udall.
The two story carriage house/garage at the northwest corner of the property
is represented as a box at the upper left corner of the lot on the Roosevelt Neighborhood Map).
A 1960 permit shows the first floor of the garage being converted to
apartments. Sometime prior to the 1985 remodel, it was gutted by fire. It
was demolished as part of the remodel.
ARIZONA STATE HISTORIC PROPERTY INVENTORY
The Arizona State Historic Property Inventory was performed to determine
the eligibility of the Roosevelt Neighborhood as a Federal Historical
District (there being no program in place for local districts at that time).
The study performed by AIA architect and ASU architecture instructor Gerald
A. Doyle was instrumental in qualifying Roosevelt, which subsequently became
Phoenix's first historic district.
L. L. Steward House Physical Description:
The two-story, stuccoed brick Steward House tastefully combines Victorian
massing with Prairie School design elements to create an elegant
architectural composition. The main portion of the irregularly shaped house
is covered by a side-spreading, low pitched hipped roof with wood shingles.
The two east bays of the full-width front porch are defined by battered
masonry columns, which support a flat roof deck. The west porch bay is
covered by a shingled, hipped roof, which is held up by a wood corner post.
Double-hung windows fill the rectangular masonry openings. A three-sided
bay window sits atop the roof deck at the east end of the front fašade. The
wooden balustrade around the front deck is missing. The house is in fair
condition (the roof shingles are deteriorated) and is only fairly kept. It
does, however, retain its historic architectural integrity, and thus,
contributes to the neighborhood's character.
STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE/HISTORY:
The Louis L. Steward house is significant for its association with Arizona
pioneer and developer, Louis L. Steward.
Steward first came to Arizona in 1905 as the only school teacher at Lee's
Ferry, Arizona. After teaching two years, he became a cowboy and then
general manager for one of the largest cattle ranches in the nation, the Bar
Z Cattle Company. In 1911, Steward was campaign manager for Henry Fountain
Ashurst in Ashurst's successful bid for the U. S. Senate.
In 1909, Steward moved to Phoenix, where he became active as a developer.
He subdivided and developed the Story addition, west of the Kenilworth
addition. Steward was a loan officer for Home Owner's Loan Corporation,
head of Southwestern Building and Investment Company, and a director and
principal stockholder of the Citizens State Bank. He also served as the
head of the Federal Public Housing Administration in Arizona during World
The Louis L. Steward house was built for Louis and Mary Steward in 1914 by
Southwestern Building & Investment Company. The house was originally
equipped with a "day and night solar heater". The Stewards lived there
until ca. 1925.
Because of its association with Louis L. Steward, the house appears to be
individually eligible for the National Register.